CONFIRMED CASE PROTOCOL
If any resident or associate displays symptoms of COVID-19 or tests positive for COVID-19, we will immediately place the resident under full isolation protocols and implement CDC recommended precautions. We will seek medical attention by contacting their medical provider or calling 911 if the resident is in distress or needs immediate medical attention. We will also report the situation to the public health department.
The Resident Care Director and/or Executive Director will follow the guidelines below for responding to a resident with COVID-19:
- Will wear a face mask upon entering the ill resident’s room. This includes outside health care providers or anyone entering the resident’s room such as housekeeping, maintenance, etc.
- Will wear gloves when touching an ill resident, potentially contaminated environmental surfaces or items potentially contaminated with respiratory secretions, contaminated tissues, vomit or fecal matter.
- Gowns must be worn when providing direct care to an ill resident. Gloves and gowns must be changed after each encounter with an ill resident and hand hygiene performed. After removing gloves, associates should immediately, without touching surfaces or objects, wash their hands with soap and water.
- When finished providing personal care, personal protective equipment (gloves, masks and gowns) must be removed prior to leaving the resident apartment or care area and discard in an appropriate waste container. All used personal protective equipment must be treated as potentially infectious.
- If there is a concern about the safety of disposing personal protective equipment within a resident’s apartment, care associates will be trained on where to appropriately dispose of soiled equipment that minimizes the spread of infection.
- A surgical or procedure mask will be placed over the ill resident’s nose and mouth, if tolerated, when transport or movement of the resident is necessary outside of their room.
- Will be instructed to use tissues to cover their nose and mouth when coughing and sneezing. A bag or other waste receptacle will be provided for disposal of contaminated tissues.
- Hands will be washed or sanitized with an alcohol-based hand hygiene product frequently throughout the day, before they leave their room, and after hand contact with respiratory secretions or contaminated tissues.
- A supply of gloves will be kept in the resident’s room, unless there are concerns about the resident’s safety.
Resident Illness Intervention Protocol
In the event of a confirmed case of COVID-19 in one of our communities, we will immediately report it to the local health department, appropriate licensing office and the resident’s authorized representative.
We will begin to implement our Resident Illness Intervention Protocol.
- All residents will be monitored daily for signs and symptoms by a clinical staff member. The resident’s physician will be contacted if they have any symptoms.
- Symptoms of COVID-19 that develop in any resident will be reported to the resident care director or medical technician by the staff member who witnessed the signs and/or symptoms or to whom the resident reports his/her symptoms.
- The resident care director or community nurse will assess the resident’s signs and symptoms.
- The resident care director or community nurse who completes the assessment, or his/her designee, will contact the resident’s physician with the results. If agreed that the signs and symptoms suggest infection with COVID-19, the resident is to follow physician’s orders for testing and isolation. The resident is to remain in his/her room until test results are evaluated.
- As soon as a resident develops symptoms, we request that the resident (and any roommates) do not attend group activities, and receive meals in their room for seven days after the onset of symptoms or 24 hours after the resolution of fever and respiratory symptoms, whichever is longer.
- We follow local public health recommendations regarding the cancellation of group activities and serving all meals in residents’ rooms.
Communities with Confirmed Cases of COVID-19
- Heartis Orland Park(Confirmed case cleared in accordance with CDC guidelines)
- Heartis North Shore
- Groves of Tustin (Confirmed case cleared in accordance with CDC guidelines)
- Windchime of Marin
- The Shores at Clear Lake(Confirmed case cleared in accordance with CDC guidelines)
- Parkview on Hollybrook (Confirmed case cleared in accordance with CDC guidelines)
- The Peaks at Old Laramie Trail (Confirmed case cleared in accordance with CDC guidelines)
- Canyon Trails (Confirmed case cleared in accordance with CDC guidelines)
- Point at Rockridge